Clerk of Circuit Court

 Marriage Licenses


Who May Marry in Virginia
The minimum age for marriage in Virginia is 16 years for both parties. If either party is under 18, consent to the marriage must be given in person by the father, mother or legal guardian of the minor. The parent or legal guardian must present his or her driver's license or comparable photo I.D. and the minor must present a full-length birth certificate. Virginia law prohibits marriage by parties under 16 except under certain circumstances. Please contact the Clerk's Office for further information.

Obtaining a Marriage License

•Marriage licenses are issued from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

•The marriage license fee is $33.00. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order (payable to the Circuit Court Clerk).  Most major debit and credit cards are accepted, a small fee will be charged.

•Both parties must be present and must present a photo I.D.

•Licenses are issued regardless of the applicants' county of residence as long as the marriage will take place in Virginia.

•Blood tests are not required.

•The marriage license is valid for 60 days. If the marriage does not take place within 60 days from the date the license was issued, a new license must be issued and additional fees must be tendered. There is no provision for a refund.

After the Wedding
The marriage celebrant returns the executed marriage license within 5 days to the Clerk's Office for permanent retention.

Obtaining a Copy of a Marriage License

•Certified copies are $2.50 each and are available in the Clerk's Office during regular business hours. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order (payable to the Circuit Court Clerk). Debit and credit cards are not accepted for the payment of such fees.

•Written requests for certified copies should include the following:  both names, date of marriage, a self-addressed stamped envelope, and a check or money order for $2.50 made payable to the Circuit Court Clerk.

To Change Your Name After Marriage
Contact the Social Security Administration in order to obtain a new social security card. You will be required to present a certified copy of the marriage license with the application for a new social security card. Application forms are available here.

Minister Authorization to Perform Marriages

•In order to be appointed by the Circuit Court Clerk's Office, the minister must live in Smyth County or his/her church must be located in Smyth County.

•The minister must have an actual congregation.

•Out-of state ministers may be appointed for a one-time ceremony. Such ministers should register in the County or City where the ceremony will take place.

•No fee is charged.

The minister must provide the following to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office:

          1.  Original ordination papers or license certificate

          2.  A letter on church letterhead, signed by the church leaders, stating that the
              applicant is the pastor of the church                

          3.  Driver's license or other acceptable government-issued photo identification