Commissioner of Revenue

Frequently Asked Questions


Are all vehicles in Smyth County taxed?
Vehicles registered with the Virginia State Division of Motor Vehicles as being in Smyth County are taxed. Vehicles not registered with the DMV but garaged, stored, or parked in Smyth County on January 1 of each year are subject to be taxed, with the exception of those exempted by law.

Who sets the personal property tax rates?
All tax rates are set each year by the Smyth County Board of Supervisors.

What will the assessment be on my vehicle?
Assessment values for vehicles are based on the LOAN VALUE as listed in the N.A.D.A. (National Automobile Dealers Association) used car guide.

What happens if I own the vehicle for only part of the year?
If you own the vehicle and garage it on January 1 in Smyth County, you will be taxed for the year in Smyth County. For vehicles acquiring taxable situs in the county after January 1st, personal property tax bills are applicable to the following calendar year.

When is the filing date for personal property tax return?

Personal Property tax returns, Form 762, must be filed by May 1st every year.  Businesses are required to file annually. Individuals are no longer required to file.  However we strongly encourage address changes be reported.
Personal Property Taxes

What happens if I do not report my personal property?

All business failuring to complete a Form 762,  listing all personal property in Smyth County as of January 1, will result in a penalty. The penalty will appear on your tax ticket as a failure to file Form 762 in a timely manner (LF). The penalty will be 10% of tax. I

What if I sell my vehicle or move it from Smyth County?

If you sell or move any personal property from Smyth County, or into or out of one of our three incorporated towns, we ask for you to write or call the Commissioner of Revenue.  Proof of sale such as a bill of sale, insurance papers, or a tax receipt will help update your account and may be required by the Commissioner in order to avoid taxation for you the following year. Taxpayers are reminded to contact the DMV upon selling their personal property to insure data is removed from the DMV active records. The Commissioner of the Revenue’s office must reconcile their reports with the data on DMV.  Should there be a question, if DMV has the property listed on their active account, then the Commissioner’s office will issue a tax bill.

When do I pay personal property taxes?
Personal property taxes are due by December 5. If you do not pay your taxes by December 5, the Treasurer will impose penalty for late payment and interest until payment is received.

What if I open a business in Smyth County?
Do the following:
Register a partnership or trade name with the Clerk of the Circuit Court, Smyth County Courthouse, (276) 782-4044. Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy with the Building Inspector's Office, (276) 783-3298.

If your business will be operating within the town limits, you will need to contact the town to obtain a business license. A new business must obtain a license within 30 days of the start of the business. You must file an application and pay the license tax by January 31 of each year. A business license tax is assessed by each Town. The County of Smyth does not require a business license. For further information call the town.
Town of Marion: (276) 783-3311
Town of Chilhowie: (276) 646-3232
Town -of Saltville: (276) 496-5342

What is business tangible personal property tax?
Smyth County levies a tax on tangible personal property used in a trade of business (such as furniture, fixtures, machinery and tools) located in Smyth County on January 1. You must file a return, form 762, with the Commissioner of Revenue by May 1st of each year to avoid a late filing penalty, payment is due by December 5. Business must itemize their personal property and /or equipment, stating the date of purchase for each item and original purchase price. For further information call (276) 782-4040.

Are there real estate taxes in Smyth County?
Yes, all property is subject to taxation, except that which is specifically exempt. Property is assessed as of January 1 of each year and payments are due by December 5. The Smyth County Board of Supervisors sets the tax rate. If there is a change of ownership, billing address or any other change pertaining to your taxes, please notify the Commissioner's Office at (276) 782-4040.

What if I expected a tax bill, but did not receive one?
If you expected a tax bill from Smyth County of any kind (Personal Property or Real Estate), and did not receive the bill by November 5, please call the Commissioner of Revenue Office (276) 782-4040. Failure to receive a tax bill will not relieve the penalty and interest charge that will be applied to all bills not paid by December 5.

How can I pay my tax bills?
You can pay your bill by check or money order made payable to Tom Burkett, Smyth County Treasurer. You may mail your payment to the Treasurer of Smyth County, P.O. Box 549, Marion, VA 24354.
If you have a question about your tax ticket, please call the Commissioner at (276) 782-4040.

Where do I get information on various permits?
For information concerning permits please call our Building and Zoning Department at 276-783-3298.

What if I have questions about other taxes?

Call the following offices for information concerning:

County Tax Rates in general 276-782-4040
Estimated and State Income Tax 276-782-4040
Personal Property Tax Assessments 276-782-4040
Personal Property Tax Payments 276-782-4059
Real Estate Assessments 276-782-4040
Real Estate Payments 276-782-4059